Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Exclusive Claims

Uncommitted Christians and non-believers might suggest that Jesus was a great guy, a man of compassion and sound moral values, someone who cares enough about others to help them receive whatever they truly want out of life. This is perhaps farther from the truth about Jesus than those who despise Jesus outright.

Several times in John 8, Jesus makes statements that make it impossible to get warm fuzzies and happy feelings about Him. He'll either make you furious, and you'll call Him a demon-possessed lunatic, or you'll be humbled and fall before Him by faith and trust completely that His words are true. He is indeed God in bodily form, as He claims. Consider these verses:

v24 - If you do not believe that I am the one I claim to be [or that I am He], you will indeed die in your sins.

v34 - Everyone who sins is a slave to sin.

v42 - If God were your Father, you would love Me.

v47 - He who belongs to God hears what God says. The reason you do not hear is that you do not belong to God.

v51 - If anyone keeps My word, he will never see death.

v54-55 - My Father, whom you claim as your God, is the One who glorifies Me. Though you do not know Him, I know Him.

v58 - Before Abraham was born, I am!

No comments: