Tuesday, June 13, 2006

A couple more thoughts...

As I announced yesterday, my missionary 3-year-old daughter recently asked the neighbor boy if he knew God in his heart. I am glad to say that the boy returned to play yesterday evening, and sure enough, my daughter again asked the question. She said, "____, I was wondering if you know God in your heart yet." The boy replied, I think so, but I'm not sure."

I was inside cleaning up the dishes (like any good husband would :)), but my wife was outside with the children. She asked if my daughter could share a Bible verse. So my daughter recited John 3:16, and the boy replied, "Wow, she has a really good vocabulary for a 3-year-old. You all must study the Bible a lot." Then my daughter said, "Oh! Let me go get my pink Bible and show him."


She ran inside franticly looking for her pink Precious Moments Bible, which couldn't be found, yet it was later located appropriately on her bedside nightstand. She came to me and asked if I knew where it was, and I gave her a tract and a Gospel of John to share with the boy. The "Evangelism Explosion" tract shared with the boy the reality that all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God, but the gift of God is eternal life through Christ Jesus.

This is a fine truth to many, but not necessarily life-changing. However, the tract importantly goes on to explain how the "decision" to trust Christ with saving faith is indeed the most important of one's life. Anyway, the children played hide-and-seek and rolled down the hill. Then it was time for bath and bed. So the neighbor boy headed home and left his tract and Gospel. But he didn't get far. My daughter reminded him, "Oh! _____, you forgot these. Here you go." And he snatched them from her hand and headed home. Lord, may this young boy be transformed by Your Word and Your Holy Spirit. May You, through him, tranform the lives of his parents. "From the lips of children and infants, You have ordained praise" (Psalm 8:2; Matthew 21:16).

No comments: