Thursday, July 20, 2006

At least I wanted to...

I'm ashamedly unassertive with my calling to evangelize. I plan daily to share the Gospel with people I meet throughout the day, especially those I do not know but who providentially cross my path, but it rarely seems to happen. In fact, now that I think about it, the less I plan to evangelize, the more often it happens spontaneously. And the fact that I plan daily tells you that I seldom preach the messsage of hope in Jesus Christ.

It truly is in my heart to share the good news of Jesus Christ with those who may have never heard that Jesus saves sinners. So if you're a self-proclaimed unbeliever, or if you are unsure about Jesus, believe on Him today and have the assurance of the forgiveness of your sins and eternal life through His mercy and grace. While I'm not proud of my timidity with the Gospel, perhaps some consolation is that I desire to evangelize.

Regarding King David's heart-desire "to build a temple for the Name of the Lord, the God of Israel... the Lord said to David, 'Because it was in your heart to build a temple for My Name, you did well to have this in your heart" (1 Kings 8:17-18). How wonderful to consider that we do well to have good desires in our heart, even when we don't carry them out. I must be careful here: the Lord prescribed David from building the Temple because of the bloodshed upon his hands. God ordained David's son, Solomon, to build the glorious Temple. Thus, I mustn't conclude that carrying out my heart's desire to evangelize is unimportant. I must and will continue to strive to share the Gospel, and "in my heart set apart Christ as Lord. [I will strive to] always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks me to give the reason for the hope that I have... with gentleness and respect" (1 Peter 3:15).

No comments: