Thursday, August 03, 2006

Brother John Wills

My favorite high school teacher passaed away Sunday. His name was Brother John Wills, and he taught me Calculus - more in high school than I ever learned in college. Though I have mixed emotions about my Catholic upbringing - especially the education portion of it - there is no doubt that this man had great influence on me. He stood in the hall at the main intersection of our school every morning greeting all who walked by with a smile on his face. His charisma and humility will be remembered. He opened his classroom to all students yearning to learn - even if he did serve as their professor. He was persistent, teaching his favorite subject until it was learned. He was above all an encourager. He could read the faces of his students and know what they needed to hear. He would pray often. And he was a friend in time of need.

http://www.saintx.com/news/news.asp?ID=579

http://www.saintx.com/news/news.asp?ID=2008

Psalm 116:15 says, "Precious in the sight of the LORD is the death of His saints."
May this be true of Brother John Wills.

No comments: