Friday, September 08, 2006

Football

I'm an NFL fan. I don't have a favorite team, and I don't cheer; but I like the NFL. I like the players (at least on the field), and I like the dominance of the league when compared to the other three professional sports (MLB, NHL, and NBA).

I don't have television right now, so I won't be watching nearly as much football as I have in the past, and that's probably a good thing - especially given the generally mind-numbing, repetitive, raunchy commercials.

And one more thing, fantasy football has created a unique way for novice and/or uninvolved football fans to take ownership of various players and teams, and really get into the game. It's all meaningless of course - that is unless you win the league and are declared champion of league. I'm convinced that there's eternal value in that. Well, maybe not.

But seiously, what's the harm in a little fantasy football? What's the harm in being passionate about watching the games? I know the arguments. And they range from "Sunday is the Sabbath, and the NFL has desicrated it!" to "It's just a game!"

The chief end of man, says the historic Christian faith, is to glorify God and enjoy Him forever. I happen to be thankful for Sunday afternoon rest time. I happen to appreciate the skill of the NFL players (again - at least on the field). And Sunday afternoon rest time, accompanied by a little NFL action is quite enjoyable. Are you ready for some football?

No comments: