Monday, December 11, 2006

God's Glory in the Skies

I've taken great pleasure in a number of sunrises and sunsets that I've taken in over the past two weeks. I am humbled at the magnificence and subtle differences noticed in them. I am ashamed that I do not notice them more often. I read recently that God does not get bored with the seemingly monotonous task of arousing each day. He loves His creation, and it displays His glory. Each day is splendor to Him and, as for a child, repitition is a good thing - far from boring monotony.

Psalm 19:1-6

The heavens declare the glory of God, and the skies above proclaim His handiwork. Day to day they pour out speech, and night to night they reveal knowledge... Their measuring line goes out through all the earth, and their words to the end of the world. In them He has set a tent for the sun, which comes out like a bridegroom leaving his chamber, and, like a strong man, runs its course with joy. Its rising is from the end of the heavens, and its circuit to the end of them, and there is nothing hidden from its heat.

To fail to notice the masterpieces God works each day is sinful. Do we think the skies appear as they do by chance? Has He not worked each day anew? Is He not faithful like no other? Dare we take a single breath for granted? Dare we think of His works as less than majestic? Will you answer affirmatively the question found in Job 37:18: "Can you join Him in spreading out the skies"? Far be it from me. I praise Him for the splendor of the skies - a common grace to all inhabitants of the earth - and I praise Him for the new heart and transformed mind - a grace to His elect for His glory (Romans 9:10-24). I'll continue with the Psalmist (Psalm 19:7-14):

The law of the LORD is perfect, reviving the soul. The statutes of the LORD are trustworthy, making wise the simple. The precepts of the LORD are right, giving joy to the heart. The commands of the LORD are radiant, giving light to the eyes. The fear of the LORD is pure, enduring forever. The ordinances of the LORD are sure and altogether righteous. They are more precious than gold, than much pure gold; they are sweeter than honey, than honey from the comb. By them is Your servant warned; in keeping them there is great reward. Who can discern His errors? Forgive my hidden faults. Keep Your servant also from willful sins; may they not rule over me. Then will I be blameless, innocent of great transgression. May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in Your sight, O LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer.

No comments: