Saturday, May 22, 2010

Predestination / Free Will (5b)

Second, Resistible Grace

• Saving grace is not always effectual or efficacious; it is co-operative
• The Sovereignty of God does not apply to salvation; man’s will can permanently thwart God’s purpose. God is trying to save every sinner, but He is helpless, by His own choice, to save any sinner who will not let Him.
• The Word is adequate to bring a person new life. The Gospel is the persuasive grace that is resistible.
• The objection: If grace doesn’t work alone, what makes it effective? Does God woo all men equally? Why do some respond favorably?
• If God wants to save me, and I do not let Him, am I then more powerful than God? Does God have control of my salvation?

• Scripture:
“But since you rejected me when I called and no one gave heed when I stretched out my hand, since you ignored all my advice and would not accept my rebuke, I in turn will laugh at your disaster; I will mock when calamity overtakes you.” (Proverbs 1:24-26)
“But the Pharisees and experts in the law rejected God's purpose for themselves, because they had not been baptized by John.” (Luke 7:30)
“For the one whom God has sent speaks the words of God, for God gives the Spirit without limit.” (John 3:34)
“But I, when I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all men to myself.” (John 12:32)
“You stiff-necked people, with uncircumcised hearts and ears! You are just like your fathers: You always resist the Holy Spirit!” (Acts 7:51)
“The Jews who refused to believe stirred up the Gentiles and poisoned their minds against the brothers.” (Acts 14:2)
“For although they knew God, they neither glorified him as God nor gave thanks to him, but their thinking became futile and their foolish hearts were darkened. Although they claimed to be wise, they became fools.” (Romans 1:21-22)
“For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men.” (Titus 2:11)
“How much more severely do you think a man deserves to be punished who has trampled the Son of God under foot, who has treated as an unholy thing the blood of the covenant that sanctified him, and who has insulted the Spirit of grace?” (Hebrews 10:29)
• Additional Scripture (Psalm 78:41; Matthew 10:14;21:32)

• Conclusion: God’s saving grace is offered to all men and forced upon no man. The Calvinist agrees completely! The Calvinist notes, however, that no one is willing or able to accept the offer of saving grace. Likewise, saving grace is not forced upon man; rather man is man willing. Regenerated man wants grace!

No comments: